Monday, June 12, 2006

Getting the First Pay Cheque

Contributed by President Toh Harnniann



It started with nothing in the bank account
Until I banked in my First Pay Cheque
So delighted was I looking at the numbers
I even photocopied the cheque and kept it in my drawer

The numbers were not much
Can’t even sponsor my trip to Pulau Tenggol
Yet the satisfaction was indescribable
For I then thought I am rich and capable

I passed by a fantastic Japanese restaurant
5 plates of expensive sushi went into my mouth
I heard the cricking noise of my car
There goes RM700.00 from the account

Soon the numbers in the account accumulate
From 4 digits to 5 digits
But I have stopped looking at the numbers
For I started looking at the numbers of others

My friend of same profession works in KL
He just changed his car recently
Though I am not a big fan of cars
I still think I deserve more than a Proton Wira

Months after months, years after years
The pay cheques get bigger and bigger
But the thrills of getting the pay cheques diminished
As by the end of the month, it will be finished

Now I am looking at the numbers again
Mathematically it is significantly larger than the First Pay Cheque
Nevertheless it seems so insignificant, so strange
Was it the number or me who had changed?




Interesting fact: Only Greece and Australia have participated in every modern Olympics games since 1896

8 Comments:

Blogger Liang Boy said...

President! It's time to bring it to the next level!! (You know, just like running for DRR)

Monday, June 12, 2006 7:01:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, need some clarification about this article . How possible the amount become so insignificant if it becomes mathematically more than the first pay cheque. Are you talking about the thrill that you experienced when you got the first pay cheque has diminished? or you are talking about the amount itself is not significant anymore because you will just spent all or most of it?

Cheers

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 10:59:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prez, remember the cashflow game? Cut down your liabilities first and don't overspend on DooDads.

FYI, a wife is not a liability. :)

Anyway, it's up to u on how u want to spend your hard earned money.

Tim

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:00:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remembered my first paycheque credited to my first salary bank account in KL. It was precious and I was smiling with joy.

Then, the feeling diminishes thru time. Why? The saying goes 'Higher salary, more financial commitmts and lifestyle changes'

It is not how much we earn it is about how much we save in the end of the day.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is the purpose of earning $?
Sactisfaction or Financial commitment???

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 1:50:00 pm  
Blogger Liang Boy said...

earning $ for satisfaction or financial commitment? I think it's financial commitment.

I would like to think to work for satisfaction and earning money for financial commitment. It's like work vs earning money, like we choose what we like to work and on the other side, we all know that we need the money for our life. So, either we find what we like to work OR like what we are doing now. :D

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:22:00 pm  
Blogger Liang Boy said...

Also president, your ur article doesnt rhyme...

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:28:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"How possible the amount become so insignificant if it becomes mathematically more than the first pay cheque" anonymous said.

Well, once I have a friend who sold tim sum and he lost alot of money in the business, he acquired alot of debts. He owed suppliers, landlord, employees etc around RM30,000.00.

He had RM5,000.00. He told me this, "when you owe someone RM30,000.00, you don't see RM5,000.00 as RM5,000.00 anymore. You see it as still short of RM25,000.00. RM5,000.00 becomes insignificant"

He went to Genting -- and you can finish the story.

I hope that answers your question.

p/s: For those who start to have ideas of me going to Genting, FYI, I did go to Genting, but for purposes other than donating money to Uncle Lim. : )

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 3:29:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home