Monday, May 29, 2006

It takes balls…

Contributed by President Toh Harnniann


Ouch! It hurts...

A lot of things had been going through my mind recently. Suddenly I realized there are so many fronts in life which we have to battle our way, rarely winning all.

As a sign of reaching adulthood, the topic of getting married had been the centre of my life. I used to think that marriage is about signing that piece of A4 size paper and sleeping with the same woman for the rest of my life. Fiction always sounds better than reality.

I once read the phrase “Marriage is a promise of love”. If it is indeed a promise of love, then marriage should only involve two persons who are in love. Marriage should bind only these two souls not anyone else. But that’s too good to be true.

Getting married does not only mean: Hey, Harnniann, from now on, you will have to love and stay loyal to your beloved wife, for better or worse… etc

This is the part where our parents seldom or never taught us. Feldman and Diana also did not share with us the real secret behind marriage. Do you know what is “getting married” all about? Now, let me enlighten you.

Getting married means:-

1. Had I painted my house? Am I using the right colour? Can I afford a professional painter to paint my whole house?

2. Do I have enough money to renovate my house?

3. How should I announce this news to my friends and relatives?

4. Have I booked my tickets for the honeymoon?

5. Oh, do I have money to pay for the wedding photos?

6. Who should I invite to my wedding dinner? If I miss out my ex-classmates, will they get offended?

7. Will my wife get along with my mum?

8. Can we not have our wedding dinner but go traveling instead?

9. After getting married, can I watch World Cup with my gang at midnight?

10. Oh dear, I love you so much, but can I invite my parents to stay with us?

I can go on forever but I guess you have got my points. These are the questions that will surely bug you when you are approaching marriage. It takes abundance of patients, compromise and wisdom of the two of you to solve these questions.

I am not writing this to scare everyone away from marriage. Neither am I writing this to complain about my current state of affairs. I just want to share with all of you what’s going in my mind lately and the difference between what you originally believed and the naked truth.

To those young girls who still fantasize marriage as your Prince Charming on shiny amour riding a white horse to rescue you from the dark castle, oops, so sorry, I may have accidentally burst the bubble of fantasy. I just want to remind you of the existence of gravity before you float too far away.

This post also serves as a public announcement that Rtr Engtee and I shall be getting married (strictly in legal sense) this coming 24th June (Sat) at 2.30pm at Klang Hokkien Association.

We shall assume the position of the second married couple of the club, after PE Feldman and Rtr Diana.

Wise man says, “only fools rush in” but I can’t help falling in love with you. I may be a fool, but I am a happily blessed fool.

Interesting fact: During your lifetime you will eat about the weight of 6 fullgrown elephants.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, can i say "NO" to all the questions u asked?
(jz kidding...)

Actually getting married with your beloved is the happiest thing in life. So, dont make it so complicated, ok?

Monday, May 29, 2006 9:25:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh gosh,

Engtee (a.k.a LNN), pls keep this "in-house"ly

Monday, May 29, 2006 9:54:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulation and best wishes to both of you...


(Wey Harley,dun play-play lar...when is your turn?)

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 10:43:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toh and Eng Tee,

Congratulations to both of you and may you be blessed with happiness.

Toh,

Just to add a point abt marriage thingy..it is abt two person 'bending' for each other each day (I bend for you and bend for me) forming a circle called happiness.

-quoted from wisdom from my spiritual Zen Master

Eng Tee,

Getting married with your beloved is a sudden turn in life which should be treasured.

Your beloved is trying to be realistic and not making things complicated.

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 11:26:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toh n Eng Tee,

You guys already have a volunteer video cameraman. :)

Tim

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 1:29:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Hui Hui for the advise & thanks Timmy as our camera man.
hehe

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 3:54:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations to the both of you!Have fun! ;)

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:41:00 pm  
Blogger harnniann said...

Vivien, thanks.

But asking us to "have fun!" may not be appropriate in the circumstances. Marriage is a serious matter!!

But anyway, we will "be happy"... : )

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 1:53:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear hanniann and eng tee,

Really happy for both of you.

Wishing both of you happiness that reaches to every corner of the heart, that rings with laughter and lingers in smiles, that lives in memories, yet increases with each new tomorrow.

Wishing both of you the wonderful happiness of loving and knowing that both of you are loved.

Congratulations.

Regards,
Tracy

Ps: I thought its in Dec?

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 4:51:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woahoaa CONGRATS... make sure you use a montblanc to sign the papers ;)

So... how many bridesmaid will I be chauferring on D day !!? hehehe

Thursday, June 01, 2006 1:10:00 am  
Blogger Feldman said...

Toh & Eng Tee,

Congrats.. trust me, marriage isn't that bad. For Diana and me, it feels the same as before, that is if you see each other everyday.

Diana and I wish you all the very best for years ahead!

Thursday, June 01, 2006 3:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toh and Eng Tee,

Congratulations and many many happy returns!

Kong

Thursday, June 01, 2006 10:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home