Friday, May 26, 2006

Hello, Helpdesk ar?

Contributed by PN Timmy Ong


Good old days at Hell-desk

I always think twice before writing something related to work in my blog. The reason is I don't want this innocent personal cyberspace to be “invaded” by my work stories; and I am afraid that once I started, I can't stop complaining about work. But anyway, I have decided to write something about my first job, as an IT Helpdesk (some people call it IT Hell-desk) technical support.

The writing style below is burrowed from my buddy's blog. You can read about Lloyd Cheam's blog here: liangboy.blogspot.com

User: Hello, Helpdesk ar?
Helpdesk: Yes, how can I help you?
User: I dunno why but I just can't boot up my computer…. I think my computer went kaput (broke down)already….can you come and take a look? It's urgent lah.
Helpdesk: Ok, can you tell me what do you see on your screen? Do you see a blue screen?
User:
No… not a single thing… not even the Windows98 logo.
Helpdesk: Do you hear any beeping sounds after you on your computer?
User: No… no beeping sound… maybe I didn't hear it because my radio is quite loud.
Helpdesk: Ok… do you see a small green light next to the power button of your monitor?
User: Erm… no, I don't see it.
Helpdesk: Great, can you power on your monitor?
User: (pausing for 3 seconds) Ohhh (pausing for another 2 seconds) Aiyoooo……. Now I can see my login screen. Thank you ar…
Helpdesk: You're welcome…

User: Hello, Helpdesk ar?
Helpdesk: Yes, how can I help you?
User: Yah… my colleague and I are switching places…
Helpdesk: Yes… and…?
User: Yah… and we want you to move our PCs for us…
Helpdesk: Sorry sir but we don't do physical relocation.
User: What do you mean you don't do relocation?
Helpdesk: Sorry sir but we can only assist in technical problems.
User: Technical problems? The PCs are related to IT mah…
Helpdesk: Yes sir, but if you want to move your home TV from your living room to your bedroom do you call the technician to move it for you? (trying my best to be patient)
User: Aiyoo… you IT people hah… make our life very hard lah…. Ok lah, never mind never mind… I will do it my own! (hang up the phone)

User: Hello, Helpdesk ar?
Helpdesk: Yes, how can I help you?
User: Can you give me the extension number for Edward Tan?
Helpdesk: I am glad to do that for you but there's a phone list at the database system which you can refer to; or you can simply call the receptionist.
User: Haiyah… call you much faster mah….
Helpdesk: (Hesitate for 2 seconds) It's 2403.
User: Ok, thank you. I told you it's much faster.
Helpdesk: ……

User:
Hello, Helpdesk ar?
Helpdesk: Yes, how can I help you?
User: How do I change the wallpaper on my desktop?
Helpdesk: Sorry but it's the company policy to standardize all the desktop wallpaper. You can't change it.
User: Aiyoo..but I want my baby's picture on my desktop… cannot meh?
Helpdesk: Sorry but there's no way we could do it.
User: Really oh…? That's too bad…. How about Hello Kitty wallpaper? Also cannot ah? Hello Kitty wallpaper very cute lah!
Helpdesk: Nope. Only the company wallpaper is allowed on the desktop.
User: Haiyoo… everyday looking at the same wallpaper sian lah… (which I agree to certain extend) Oklah, never mind. (hang up the phone disappointed)

User: Hello, Helpdesk ar?
Helpdesk: Yes, how can I help you?
User: How come the Internet today is very slow?
Helpdesk: Really? Can I know the site you are accessing please?
User: Ohh.. it's a site I access everyday. But today it's extremely slow…
Helpdesk: Yea, but in order to help you, it's best if we could know the site you are accessing. The problem could be on the site itself.
User: Ermm…. It's www.mobileringtones.com
Helpdesk: Sorry madam but we can only troubleshoot work-related technical problems. We don't support ring-tones site access (gave up asking for more details immediately)
User: Really ah? (heard a sigh from the other end) Ok lah, bye… (This type of call repeat itself each time with a different user and a different site such as F1 site, Astro TV guide site etc)

User:
Hello, Helpdesk ar?
Helpdesk: Yes, how can I help you?
User: You know I have this problem… when I double-click on Microsoft Word it gave me an error and Word just won't start.
Helpdesk: Can you read the error message to me please?
User: Ohh… I already closed it and I can't remember the error message.
Helpdesk: Ok then, can you please try to do the same again by starting Microsoft Word?
User: No, no… it's not the computer here. It's my home PC.
Helpdesk:

The list of problems goes on and on…

My experience tells me that sometimes we are not dealing with technical errors but human attitude and behavior. Technical errors can be solved by applying the right troubleshooting skills; users' attitude, on the other hand, requires education and time to correct it. Many people might think that PCs are complex. But to me the human factor seems more complex, and harder to handle. Nevertheless, fun was never lacking while working with Helpdesk and the users. It has taught me how to laugh at problems even I had a bad time solving them.

Interesting fact:
Golf was invented in Scotland. It was entitled Gentlemen Only Ladies Forbidden and that put the word GOLF into the vocabulary

Editor's note: to make this blog more interesting and informative, from this article onwards, all future articles published in this blog will be coupled with interesting fact for the benefit of readers of this blog. Thanks for your support!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

i keep laughing non-stop when i scrolling down those conversation.
it is funny!

"we are not dealing with technical errors but human attitude and behavior"

yeah, i am quite agree with the sentences above. This is what i am facing everyday too.

Friday, May 26, 2006 1:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Help desk has been misinterpreted and abused ...and ur extention number has turned to be the "HELP" hotline for the deperate-illiterate-and-ignorance IT users...

And if this carry on, eventually u will be upgrade to be the encyclopedia-man,...knows everything...

(...mmm,one of this day need to get my IT boy to delete the history site , been visiting to rac pklg blogsite toooo often~)

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:48:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tim,

The write up is really humourous.Hehe

Talk about IT Hell Desk, i may write my 'hellish' experience supporting the finance end users (internal co ppl asking you for money from the budget allocated to them every year)

I cannot imagine how on earth I survived that job in my previous co.

Accounting, IT no difference lah.

Friday, May 26, 2006 3:56:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone: Help Desk arrr??? I need help lar...My Computer not working.

Helpdesk: What happened?

Someone: I dont know. I thought you will tell me.

Helpdesk: We need to know at least what roughly happened before we can give you any advice.

Someone: If i know, i would not need to call you.

Helpdesk: What have you done that? Whats on your screen now?

Someone: Thats the problem , I did not do anything.. The screen is blank now...So tell me what should i do? You all at the helpdesk should know what to do.

Helpdesk: (Calm but sweating now) So you can see anything now, you didnt press anything just now, what is the last thing you saw before that blank occured?

Someone: I dont know. You tell me lar..What lar you people, tell you so much already still cant solve my problem. Waste my time only. @#$@$#$@#$ (Dooooooot :Hung Up sound)


Cheers
Tracy

Friday, May 26, 2006 4:30:00 pm  
Blogger harnniann said...

Wah Tracy, can help Timmy to write another funny conversation summore ar? so pannai

Let's try this one:-

User: Hello Helpdesk ar? My pc hang lar...

Helpdesk: Ok, how many program is running now?

User: Donno lar... alot lar... Words is on, Excel is on, Internet Explorer is on, MSN is on, Yahoo Messenger is on... alot ooh...

Helpdesk: Maybe you have too many program running at the same time...

User: Sure lar, you think I don't need to work ar! I have to open all these programs mar, if not how to work? You teach me lar... so how now?

Helpdesk: Maybe next time you should not let so many program run at the same time...

User: yeah right! You easy say lar... Not you mar... so how now?

Helpdesk: Maybe next time, you should open program one by one...

User: yeah lar I know, but now HOW???

Helpdesk: Maybe next time you should not play MSN while doing work...

User: ok ok Now HOW????!!!!

Helpdesk: now CLICK the SMALL RED BUTTON and RESTART!!

User: Bu Hao Xiao... "==

Friday, May 26, 2006 5:03:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL...

(ma upgrade RAM lor)

Friday, May 26, 2006 5:10:00 pm  
Blogger Liang Boy said...

Hurray, my favorite blog is up! Way to go, Timmy Boy!

Friday, May 26, 2006 8:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home