Monday, May 14, 2007

The World ain't all Sunshine and Rainbows

Contributed by Rtr. Harnniann
I watched the movie “Rocky Balboa” for the 2nd time yesterday. A lot of people criticise this movie, saying there’s little action and too much drama. I am no movie critic and I don’t intend to give a movie review here.

But that’s one part of the movie that struck me hard and deeply disturbed me. It’s at 1 hour and 1 minute of the movie.

It’s a scene where Rocky and his son walked out of Rocky’s restaurant. Rocky had earlier announced his intention of fighting the reigning Boxing World Heavyweight Champion.

The son started by asking whether Rocky was nervous about the fight. Rocky replied, “scared to death” but nevertheless he had to do it.

The son got so mad that he started shouting at his father. The son said it has not been easy living with Rocky. “People see me but they see you” the son said. That’s the reason he had a decent job and that’s the reason why people deal with him. It’s all because his father is Rocky. And now, with the fight, the situation is going to get worst. It will hurt him more.

He asked Rocky, as a favour, not to go through with the fight as it will do Rocky and himself no good.

Rocky, after being shouted at by his own son, remained calm. He thought for a few seconds. Then he raised his right hand and said this to his son (I quote in verbatim):-

You ain’t gonna believe this. You used to fit right here (pointing at his right palm). I hold you up and say to your mother: this kid is going to be the best kid in the world. This kid is going to be somebody better than anybody known. And you grow up, good and wonderful. It’s great just watch it everyday, it’s like a privilege.

When the time comes for you to be your own man and take on the world, then you did. But somewhere along the line, you changed. You stopped being you. You let people stick a finger on your face and tell you, you are no good. And when things got hard, you started looking for something to blame, like a big shadow.

Let me tell you something you already knew. The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place. I don’t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me are no body. It’s going to hit as hard as life.

But it ain’t about how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how it’s done.

Now, if you know what’s you’re worth then go out to get what’s you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits and not pointing fingers say: you ain’t what you want to be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You are better than that!

The above conversation hit me hard. It’s the highlight of the whole movie.

Life is tough. It is never easy to squeeze yourself into it and find a rightful place of your own.

What Rocky had just said to his son, I felt as if he was talking to me. Wasn’t I looking for something or someone to blame whenever I think I was not given something I deserve? Didn’t I cowardly avoid the hits and stay complacent in my own comfort zone knowing very well that there is a bigger world out there that is waiting for me to explore, to venture and to find my flag?

In the movie, Rocky found himself losing something. It’s the energy he once had. He decided to jump out of his comfort zone (manning the Italian Restaurant) and take on the world champion. Of course he lost in the fight but that’s secondary and largely immaterial. He had the guts to walk into the ring again, to go through the gruelling training, to risk the humiliation, to face his own fear etc. That, to me, is much more important than winning the fight.

I hope the above conversation somehow gives you some booster and motivation. Those of you who have the DVD, I suggest you to fast forward to the above scene (at 1hr 1min mark), and appreciate it.

it ain’t about how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how it’s done.

I am going to remember that.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sound like a nice movie.

Jia Thiam

Monday, May 14, 2007 9:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agree! That's the best part of the movie! Love that part!!

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:27:00 am  
Blogger Feldman said...

It's meaningful that life goes on, even if you don't. So, the only impact is on you and your loved ones. So, what and how do you choose to be depends on yourself... it is THAT straight forward..

Tuesday, May 15, 2007 12:30:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was truly inspiring . i mean the quote. all the while we shrouded ourself in comfort, taking it for granted. is time prepare, and go for the real world.

all the best

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 11:14:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

now I offer my Rocky Balboa dvd, who wants to pinjam tengok? : )

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 5:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

IPP Toh,

I think you can start storying on "Sinking of Japan" movieline..

hehe


Harley

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Sinking of Japan sounds better. I mean the 80s version wan. ^ ^

Jia Thiam

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 6:39:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home