Monday, April 16, 2007

Centennial RYLA Report - The Finale

Contributed by Rtr Harnniann


Click here to read Part 1, Part 2 & Part 3


Making New Friends

To be honest with you, initially I was very reluctant to join RYLA. I did not show any enthusiasm at all and I think that was felt by Eric too. The main reason was that I do not like mixing with strangers not to mention that I have to stay with strangers for 4 days! I am really content with my life and I thought with the current friends I have now, I have more than enough.

Anyway, as I was stuck somewhere in Kajang for 4 days, I have no choice but to take the initiative to know some new strangers. I surprised myself. I did not know that my communication skill was really that good. Once I was used to shaking hands and starting a brief conversation with absolute strangers, making new friends seems to be a very easy task. All we need are a sincere smile and the burning curiosity to find out more about the stranger.

I have made a lot of friends in RYLA. You know why I had problem waking up in the morning? That’s because we chat all night at the foyer, in the bedroom (by the way, the rules say that boys are not supposed to go into guys’ room and vice versa but all the rules were badly broken). And throughout these chit-chatting, our relationship progressed from mere acquaintances to friends.

We took down the contact numbers and email of everyone, and we promised to keep in touch and probably organise something like a alumni in future.

My Observation, Feelings and Experience

I must give credit to the Organising Committee for they have done a fairly good job in organising RYLA 2005. Thank you. Nonetheless, I would like to take this opportunity to record some of my constructive criticisms.

The whole RYLA was too relaxed. I know we are all adults so that we should not be monitored like schoolboys. But there at least should be a balance. I opine that the Organising Committee had been too relaxed in time keeping. Or they themselves were late sometime. I hope this is something the next organising committee of RYLA could look into. Punctuality should be something RYLA emphasise most.

Ok, I am done with criticisms. If you were cautious, you would have noticed that some of my criticisms had been secretly embodied in the main body above. So, I’ll give the Organising Committee a break. Nice Job & Syabas!

As you all would agree that life is a journey. We are unable to determine the length of this journey but fortunately we have the freedom to decide the width of it. We have the freedom, the privilege to decide what we want to see, feel, learn, contribute in this journey.

If there is only one thing I’ve learnt from RYLA that would be: dare to take the sudden turn. I took my sudden turn here when I decided to wake up and drive to Permata on 24/3/2005. It significantly or maybe forever changes the path and route of my journey. Should I decided to go to work on 24/3/2005 and continue with my routine life, maybe I would still be the same i.e. being robbed of this wonderful experience and opportunity unknowingly.

Thank you RYLA!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to share:

I had mine at Outward Bound School,Perak..year 2005..

For those who like outdoor activities, this would be a GREAT experience not to be missed..

From the kinda-run-down-dome where we (ladies)stay to the canteen/assembly hall, we would have to walk up 72 steps (one way),so dont forget to leave ur things behind~

The most challenging task was the one night camp out..Thou we arrived our campsite late,we made it (one group got lost,surviving on an apple and watever they have with them)..Upon arrived, guys start to pitch tent and search twig to set up fire and ladies start to cook (2 dishes + rice)with tourchlight on!I am glad that i am in a group of people who armed with good leadership, navigator, cook,logistic and coorperative members..!(only 1 member felt out of place, the so-called "clubber" ) lol..

On top of that, there are quite number of GSE students that join whom from Canada, Brasil, Australia, Japan and U.S..in total i heard was 99 participants..

Here i would like to post a shoutout again to my group..U guys rock!!

"BUBU"

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:55:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's BUBU?

-Jia Thiam-

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:04:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's Feilin's group name.

Look at her face also know she is somehow related to the name "BUBU"...

haha!

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:38:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol..

yup thats the name of my group..

So smart-nya, IPP..

Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:17:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home