Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Do ghosts really exist?

Contributed by Chesmir Chew (guest contributor)

Ghosts do exist in this world, do you believe that? I reckon the answer to most people will be affirmative. Otherwise, there won’t be any religion and superstition. But do ghosts really exist? I doubt, and so do many people. It is because most people have never seen them before.
When I was a kid, I like to play with Michael, a friend of childhood, at the “padang” (field) 1km from my home. Once, when we were “lepaking” (sitting and killing time) at the padang, as usual, we sit at the top of the slide when we were waiting for other friends to join us. We talked a lot since we always had funny things to tell.
All of a sudden, Michael stared at me grimly and screamed out in great fear. He then slid down the bottom and rushed away from the padang. At that time, I had totally no idea what was happening. But from the expression on his face, I could tell something horrible had just happened. So I followed him and went away from the padang. When we were quite a distance from the padang, with heavy pant I asked him what was going on. He panted, “A transparent white shadow was behind me just now.” Suddenly I felt my backbone chilly. It was like “something” was really behind me…
This incident had not been recalled since I lost contact with Michael.
Several years later, I join the basketball team and was chosen as Selangor state player to participate in a nation-wide basketball tournament. Besides, it was an honor that all the state players were arranged to stay at the hostel provided by Malaysia Basketball Association (MABA) for the one-month intensive training camp. I was so excited because not only accommodation and meals were provided, but also pocket money was given! However, it was only a few days time, a series of strange things had happened in my room.
It was hard to tell what was going on, but my two roommates and I just couldn’t sleep well, we always felt like being pressed by something at night and we could hardly move or turn over our body. Sometimes we were awakened by certain noise, also sometimes we heard someone knocking the door. But the thing is whenever we woke up to check where the noise came from, the sound would fade out. Many times we woke up to open the door and we always saw nothing but the dark and foggy corridor. The sound was not loud, but it was clear enough to be heard. The next day, when we asked the players staying next door about the sound, they would say they heard nothing. “Perhaps we were too tired, so that it caused illusion”, we thought. Little by little, we were tired of investigating the source of the noise, and we managed to ignore it because we were really too tired with our training.
In a blink of an eye, one-month training camp was over and we went to Sarawak for the basketball tournament. At that time, coaches and players from each state were arranged to stay in a classroom so that we could communicate with each other more easily.
One night, our coach asked us about how was our life at MABA. While most players look satisfied with their room, my roommates and I started to complain. “We always felt uncomfortable at night.” “We also heard weird noise.” “Someone knocked our door at night but we saw nothing when we opened the door.”
For a few seconds, our coach was silent. Then he took a deep breath and said, “Well, that is nothing, just ignore it.” We thought he would be extremely surprised after hearing our complaints, but instead, he sounded like he was aware of everything happened in our room since the beginning. Looking at our frustrated faces, he told us the story.
A few years ago, the room that we used to stay at MABA was lodged by a national player suffered from gigantism. One night, he was asleep and was not awake in the morning. He passed away. It took our coach and the coach of national team a few hours to move his body into the coffin, and send to the nearby funeral parlor. Since then, a series of strange things started to happen in the room. Of course, several priests and Taoists were invited to solve the problem, but it didn’t seem to have difference. Most players were still arranged to stay in that room even though the problem remained unsolved. Perhaps it was not harmful to people, and most people could be able to ignore it when they were used to it.
Whenever I told people about the strange things that happened to me in the past, most of them would say without hesitating that I had run into ghost. But why would they so sure that it was ghost instead of other thing? Is it because they were told that most strange things come from ghost or they have seen ghosts before?
I believe most people have never seen the REAL ghost. How would one know ghosts are the souls of human bodies? What about the animal bodies, the insect bodies, or the bacteria and virus bodies? They have no soul in their body? Ok, can anyone prove that there is soul in our body and we will become spirits when we die? No. They believe the existence of ghosts because there are too many strange things happen on earth. Even scientists can hardly prove why they happen or how they happen. That is the reason why religions were established and our honorable God exists.
The theologists, people who study about God and Evils, would explain anything that can’t be substantially proved by the scientists. Hence, people have their faith in certain religion so that they have reliance. When one is confident, he becomes stronger. In other words, the reliance makes people stronger.
Consequently, ghosts and religions come from human cultures. Each culture explains their ghost and religion. One could understand certain culture by realizing the religion(s) in which the majority of the clan believes. For example, most Chinese believe in Buddhism and Taoism. One may understand Chinese culture by reading the legend stories in Buddhism and Taoism. In this case, religions are meaningful to human cultures but I would say it is not necessary for one to be too superstitious to certain religion.
To me, I believe there are secrets that are yet to be discovered by human technology in the universe. The so-called weird things happen on earth would perhaps be one of the phenomenons in nature.
When strange incidents happened, they could be explained as haunted incidents or natural phenomenons. However, the word “ghost”, in fact, does not appear in scientific dictionaries. What religions explained to people may be right, but it is known that they are just partially right since none of the religions showed the evidence which could be able to prove that they are totally right.
To date, the topic whether ghosts exist or not still appears to be debatable to human since both science and religion could only theoretically infer strange incidents as haunted incidents or a natural phenomenon. Unless there are persuasive evidences to prove that the incidents are haunted or they are just natural phenomenons, otherwise, this topic would always be a mystery.

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Chesmir,

Thanks for your tales of the creepy kind waking me up from a sleepy afternoon.

I do believe that there are forces out there beyond our control besides GOD.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:29:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YM Chew,

Your experience at MABA hostel is kinda creepy and it sends chills into my spine. Never imagine that our blog could feature ghost story. Good, it improves the variety of topics found in this blog.

Good work! Hope to read more of your article. Better still, do come and join our activities when you are free and Check Us Out!

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 2:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A good different topic! :)

Science are "slow" in the sense that it takes a huge amount of time to prove something that have been living among us. For example: germs. Germs exists all the time but science denied that until it has proven it. But germs still exist before science proves it.

Tim

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 3:52:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was working alone in the office at a very late night about 12am, i didn't reliazed time flew until one of my friend called me and said "Don't you afraid of something that you may wish not to see again?".

Straight away i packed my stuff and went back at once. Till then i refuse to work late alone. It shows that i also afraid of ghost. How about you?

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 5:32:00 pm  
Blogger Valerie Ooi said...

Spooky~! I have experienced once too myself, but I only heard 'it' and never saw 'it'. You can really tell there is something there and you are 100% that it wasn't an illusion.

This post is interesting. topic about stuff that everyone is still wondering if there are such things in this world!

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 5:41:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To hui hui,
Thank you.
So what do you think the forces are? Are they the so-called ghosts or something other than ghost?

To harnniann,
Yeah, thanks for giving me a good chance to try. I promise I'll do my best.

To Tim,
I agree with you.
Now, let me make a postulation. If science today is fast enough to prove everything, including the natural or supernatural phenomenons discussed in my article, do you think religions still exist?

To Harley,
Yes, I will be afraid when I see things that is not supposed to be seen. But this is simply a kind of natural reaction of human to strange incidents.

To valerie^_^,
I believe that's a true feeling instead of an illusion. Could you tell me what did you hear? What did it sound like? Where were you and what were you doing at that time? well, I am really curious about that.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 11:07:00 pm  
Blogger Liang Boy said...

Hey YM,
Welcome to the loooong list of RAC PK Centennial contributor! Haha, I was chatting w/ Harnniann (over the msger) that I dont know how to comment on ur article, but I realized that it just never crosses my mind at all! (Except that I have told about a 'Voltron' Ghost Story/Joke)

Thursday, May 11, 2006 11:08:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Llyod,
Thanks for your comment. Btw, I went to your blog and read some of your articles last night. It's great! Keep writing dude! :)

Thursday, May 11, 2006 12:19:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Lloyd,

yea, the Voltron story was really funny!!!!

Tim

Thursday, May 11, 2006 1:19:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha.. Voltron story!!!

Thursday, May 11, 2006 6:49:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can anyone tell me what Voltron story is about?

Thursday, May 11, 2006 7:03:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Chew,

Certainly an interesting article,I should say.But why involve religion in the equation?

Karin

Thursday, May 11, 2006 10:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YM,

when 'tai lo' told me he post ur article in the blog, i really can't wait to on my PC and read it...

what a diffrent topic......hope to see ur article again

sooling

Friday, May 12, 2006 8:39:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo! Yea some things cant be explain by science and we can only rely on our faith. Creepy sia.. life and death... Too morbid for me to think about now hee!

Tze Shern

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 11:58:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!!!
Tze Shern is my cousin from S'pore.
Thanks for your comment and I do agree with you that we can only rely on faith in most things that can't be explained by science.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 8:16:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty site! Keep working. thnx!
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:17:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:20:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are Nice. And so is your site! Maybe you need some more pictures. Will return in the near future.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:37:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:42:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home