Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Reasons for being a Rotaractor

Contributed by VP Hui Hui

Well, I was reading our club’s blog today in the afternoon. Seeing our club outgoing President Toh Harnniann article on urging members to write and contribute to the blog, I decided to express my feelings for the title above. Are you ready to hear my “grandmother’s” story?

Life is funny. When I was in college, I never bother or gave a thought to join a service or community based organization. I was too busy studying for the dreaded ACCA accounting exams stage 1, 2, 3. I had to admit I really have ‘no life’. I realised this when I was offered a job in a corporate sector in one of Malaysia’s public listed conglomerate after graduation and then a job in Malaysia’s prominent telecommunication plc.

Even, my brother who started work life last year, he now said he has ‘no life’. It was such a big transition for him, after coming back from the States, staying in one of the most ‘ulu’ (put it in a nice way, quiet & suitable for retirement) town in the states.

Well, to sum it all up, being called a professional (which if you are an engineer, lawyer, accountant, IT, doctor etc) sounds great, but you have to trade your social life for long work hours extended to weekend. The society thinks that you are earning much but an average professional these days are not compensated adequately for the additional workload done.

But, still all parents want their children to get a good education and call themselves a ‘professional’ or a ‘graduate’

What is a solution for a ‘no life’ syndrome? Solution: Get a life. Join a service organization like Rotaract.

Before joining rotaract, I was introduced to a community club called Jaycees, also a club originated from US.

But I was not that impressed after meeting a few of its members in one of the function held in KL. Then, I joined Toastmasters International, a non profit organization from the States to improve my public speaking and leadership skills back in Year 2001. I had benefited from joining the club. I managed to recruit fellow RC Port Klang members like PP Kua Leong Qui, Chew and Cheah Li Yen to join in the quest for self development.

Still, I wanted to join a service based club but I did not bother searching.

Years gone by and one day, on a fine Sunday morning in the month of December 2004, I received a morning phone call from Rotarian Chew Song Kong. He asked me this question”Do you still want to apply for a Group Study Exchange (GSE) programme under Rotary International?”

My reaction was “Why? Are there any offers open?” Earlier, I did apply for the GSE study team from Malaysia to Tennessee, USA for six weeks in early May 2003. I managed to get my head of department to sign allowing me six weeks of leave from work

But, sadly I did not get through the second interview by the GSE panel. During that time in May 2003, there was huge outbreak, SARS. I did not know whether the project was on because people were afraid to travel by plane.

Rotarian Chew’s answer was “Come for an interest meeting held in PP Kua’s office. Our club RC Port Klang, wants to form a rotaract club. So are you interested?”

I mentioned ‘Yes, I will come’. Within 15 minutes later (no time for me to apply my lipgloss), and still feeling sleepy, Rotarian Chew was in front of my house.

The rest was history. On the first interest meeting, I seemed to meet more guys than people of my gender. I met Arthur, Harnniann, Feldman, Tim, Vivien, Diana, Boon Tiong aka Ah Tiong Koko. I remember Rtr. Ban Fong cheeky and friendly smile during the first interest meeting. That was the obvious memory that I had.

Honestly, my first reaction was “Wah, they seemed younger than me”. Don’t get me wrong, friends. When, you cross your mid twenties age (after 25 years old), you will know what I mean.

But I had ‘blended’ in. During our initial months of a Protem meeting, our club had to source own speakers. So I volunteered to speak and conduct a 4Ps personality test to all our members. And not to mention the club’s outing to Genting Highlands getting into a roller coaster. I remembered consoling Eng Tee when she starts to freak out before the ride.

Sometimes, I do admit, work wise it could be tiring. I may miss some club meetings. But, really make time for your friends are great. It keeps me sane and prevents me from getting a ‘No Life’ syndrome.

I still have two more years to go with this club. It is kind of a mix sad-optimistic feeling. When I begin to feel this? Well, this feeling came after I conducted an induction for two new members, Rtr Shawn and Rtr Arthur Raj. If you ask me, am I getting tired and losing steam?

No way! Last weekend, in Pantai Morib, I felt happy and energized gathered with my fellow friends singing together till 1 am, seeing they got thrown in the swimming pool after that (Hew! It was a loud splash!). And having a drink with the Gombak club rotaractors celebrating our past DRR, Brahma birthday at the stroke of midnight.

To sum it up why I join and remain with my beloved rotaract club. To quote the survey answers done by DGE Datuk Jimmy during the District Rotaract Assembly (DRA) in Pantai Morib, here are my reasons:

1) To socialize and make new friends
2) To build up my communication and leadership skills
3) To realize my inner potential in contributing to society as a whole
4) To be a peace Rotary scholar. (It is a dream. I am still dreaming…zzzz)

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Walking down the memory lane. I still remember vividly how things started. It seems like yesterday.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 3:16:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Reminiscing the day I was officially called a Rotaractor. Along this journey as a rotaractor it was full of sweet and unforgetable memories. Though, sometimes doubtful whether the initial intentions of joining this club was served but as accurately mentioned by the author, I too have learnt and received a lifetime experience which I treasure so much. Thanks to Rotaract Club!

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:36:00 pm  
Blogger Liang Boy said...

Uh Hm... One thing I cannot help agree, I LOVE THE PICTURE!!!~

PS: Great article Hui2, it's always nice to be reminded the reason we have joined Rtr.

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:54:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:17:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:29:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:37:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed with your site, very nice graphics!
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:45:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home