Monday, May 08, 2006

Sudden Turn: Scuba Diving!

Contributed by President Toh Harnniann
I couldn’t believe it but I did it nevertheless.

Last Saturday evening, while it seemed like no surprise was going to take place, I received a call from my client and asked me whether I wanted to take up a license to scuba dive with him. The cost was RM1,300.00. I hesitated a while and he tried to persuade me, but before I hung up, I heard myself saying, “ok, let’s do it!”

I was always the spokesperson for the “no life” or “non-adventurous”. Those who know me well will definitely tell you that I am not a fan of pubs, techno-music, night life activities, extreme games etc.

You have far better chance to catch hold of me at Popular Bookstore or MPH during the weekend. The craziest things I have done lately was to play Dota (a pretty violent computer game) with PE Feldman, PN Timmy and the rest for 5 hours non-stop (which seems like chicken feet when I was told by a rotaractor from Taylor’s college that he and his gang played Dota for 18 hours non stop!!).

My point is: it is beyond wildest imagination that you could hit upon me having fun 30 to 40 feet under the open water. But I did say yes to the offer.

Lloyd told me that it was fun and exciting to do scuba diving. The serenity under seawater while appreciating the beauty of Mother Nature is indescribable. I knew all that but when he told me about it, I was not moved at all, not even an inch. I even replied, “I am made to live on dry land, period.”

But recently, “Screw it, Let’s do it” had been my motto. Taking sudden turn instead of staying in comfort zone has slowly become a trend. I am still young and healthy (and I do not know how long I can maintain this status quo). If I don’t jump into the open water with a tank full of oxygen now, I dare not imagine when will the next opportunity come.

RM1,300.00 may take a big bite out of my salary, but I guess with prudent management of expenditure, I will survive the vicious attack on my bank account.

One last inspiration that sealed up my decision to take up scuba diving is a conversation with our DG Dr Ken Khoo. One evening while having beer with our DG, we were discussing about scuba diving. He told me that he started scuba diving when he was 50 years old.

That really embarrassed me. A young healthy man in his mid 20s is hesitating while a 50 year old man dived into freezing cold water with no regret. What a stark contrast!

So, I will wait no more. Applying the precious principle I learned from Rotaract: don’t think too much, things are not always as bad as it seems.
I have registered myself so, what are you waiting for?

11 Comments:

Blogger Liang Boy said...

Hey, welcome to the scuba diving world! Anyway, when are you going to take the lessons? And where will you be going for the diving trip? Maybe I could join you too!!

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 12:26:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Toh, may I know the name of the scuba diving school? Is it in Klang?

Always thought of learning diving in the serene waters of the South China Sea-I may consider Pulau Perhentian.

Hui Hui

Tuesday, May 09, 2006 11:32:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Hui Hui,

The company is in Bkt Tinggi Klang but the training is done in Kompleks 3k, USJ.

Yesterday was my first lesson. Emm... Great experience :) Hope you can be a diver too!

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 4:09:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the new motto.
Scube diving sounds awfully fun. Rock on, bro!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 12:06:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi "Tai Lou" Steve,

Glad you drop a comment here. Yeah Scuba Diving is awfully fun. Have you tried?

P/S: This "Tai Lou" is my real Big Brother, Steven Toh in USA. And NOT Sooling's Tai Lou :)

Thursday, May 18, 2006 9:36:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:17:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:20:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:29:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed looking at your site, I found it very helpful indeed, keep up the good work.
»

Tuesday, May 23, 2006 11:42:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I taking up Scuba Diving at about your age, money also one of the
factor delay me for few years, but finally I managed to complete PADI Open
Water Diving, Advanced Open Water Diving, Medic First Aid & ..halfway
through the Dive Master Certification.. be young any be dare to do it....

Wednesday, May 24, 2006 12:13:00 pm  
Blogger Liang Boy said...

Dear Johnson Wey,

Now that you have to inform us whenever there's a diving trip!

Sunday, May 28, 2006 10:41:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home