Friday, March 23, 2007

Without fear or favour (Season 2) Part 2

Contributed by Rtr Harnniann


Andy was in shock. His eyes were floating and difficult to stay focus. From his oily face and red eyes, I knew he had not slept for more than 24 hours.

He was unable to organize his speech. Though poorly narrated, I could more or less sum up as below:-

He was having a drink in Bukit Tinggi at around 2am in the morning. Suddenly a gang fight occurred. LCD screen was smashed and glasses were thrown. He was not involved in the fight (he emphasized that repeatedly).As he was concerned that his car (parked in front of the entrance) might be hit by the flying objects, so he drove his car away. But when he was in his car, a stranger went into his car and demanded Andy to send him home. Andy was afraid so he did what was demanded. He sent that guy home. After sending this stranger home, Andy went back to the crime scene again out of curiosity. There he was questioned then arrested by police.

While in the police lockup, he was not beaten up. He was asked to surrender all his personal belongings. No statement was recorded from Andy. Basically the police ignored him totally. He waited and waited but the police did not tell him why he was arrested and when he could be released. He concluded that he was “shui” (bad luck) being at the wrong place at the wrong time.

That was pretty much what Andy told me. There were many missing links and questions in his story but I reckoned I have got sufficient information at the moment. I could grill him for more details at later stage if necessary.

I wanted to give him a lengthy lecture about not to stray at mamak or street at wee hour, but I thought Andy was not able to take it. A little more stress or guilt built on him, he would definitely snap.

After taking statement from Andy (now officially my client), I have to figure out what to do next.

Andy was brought to Magistrate Court because the police wanted to apply remand order to detain Andy for a longer period to enable police to investigate. I have to make out reasons to convince the Magistrate why further detention is not necessary.

I took out a blank sheet of paper and started digging my brain to recall what I have learned about remand order in college. I jotted down whatever points I could think of.

“Hey, Harnniann, my father did not know I am here.” Andy said suddenly.

“Ok, don’t worry. I will handle that. Leave it to me” I took out my handphone searching for his dad’s number.

“tell them not to come” Andy whispered softly.

I did not need to ask why.

Andy was in a horrible state: barefoot, red eyes, dirty shirts, oily face and hair, and most terribly, on handcuffs. No one will want their parents to see them on handcuffs. That stigma will scar their memory forever.

I called Andy’s father and told him his son is in Klang Magistrate Court. Andy’s dad was initially in a great mood and was in no way ready for such news. But he stayed cool.

“Is it because of drug?” Andy’s father asked forcefully.

“No, uncle. Nothing like that. Don’t worry”

“I will be there in 5 minutes” then he hung up.

Immediately after I finished my call, Andy and the rest were led into the court room.

I grabbed my suit case and the few papers I just jotted quickly and followed them in.

Inside the court room, the real action begun…



(to be continued)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger jiathiam said...

Can't wait for the next story. Anyway, just curious to know. Why called his dad when he demanded u not to do so?

Friday, March 23, 2007 8:12:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

he didn't ask me not to call. (please read between the lines)

he asked them NOT to come.

He had been missing one whole night, and his parents were dead worried. He needed me to inform his dad.

Moral of this episode: don't go home late.

Part 3 coming soon. stay tuned.

Monday, March 26, 2007 12:41:00 pm  
Blogger Feldman said...

A very well written and very exciting story. Everyone is eagerly waiting... BTW, how many parts to this story?? :)

Monday, March 26, 2007 1:31:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

President

If I do not stray too far from the core, most likely 2 more parts: one for the courtroom scene; the other is the aftermath

Monday, March 26, 2007 2:37:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home