Friday, March 31, 2006

Shopaholics Paradise -“My four days trip to Bangkok”

Contributed by Rtr. VP Lee Hui Hui

I am writing this article to explain to members why I was missing club meetings, Feld and Diana' wedding and activities since February 15th 2006 till now.

I had been working hard like a real ‘kuli’ in my company since last year. My last overseas holiday was Cambodia in March 2005. I had total of 30 days leave this year because I get to carry forward annual leave of 10 days.

That's why I booked my holidays in advance to utilize my leave. My Bangkok trip was a real gift. My aunt managed to book Air Asia ‘free’ flights promotion to Bangkok from February 15th to February 18th 2006. It was a family trip.

Rotaractors, I only paid airport tax of RM100 plus admin charges of Rm48 for the whole trip. But bare in mind, for this ‘free’ flights fare, if you don't turn up and check in on that day, passengers have to pay the full fare and related surcharges. And they call it ‘No frills’ flight.

Accomodation wise- I stayed at a sky rise apartment hotel named Baiyoke Apartment Suites for only Rm59 per night. At the sky lounge, where buffet breakfast is served every morning, you can see the whole of Bangkok-just buildings, elevated highways and massive traffic jams. And as you exit from the hotel entrance, it is wholesale and retail shopping malls and stalls area. All are opened from 8 am and closes at 6 pm sharp.

And you can get everything from ladies cotton spaghetti strap t-shirts (from as low as Rm5 to Rm10-wholesale price), working clothes (skirts and blouses), men's shirts, shoes, sandals (leather and hand made for men and women), jackets, bags, sleepwear, innerwear, belts, jeans and accessories. For ladies, getting innerwear brands like Wacoal and Triumph is half of the price you get in Malaysia.

I bought some strap t-shirts and skirts as low as Rm5 to Rm25, shoes from Rm10, few black blouses for dinner from Rm15, denim jacket with matching hipster skirt at Rm40. Bangles and earrings only cost Rm2 to Rm5. I had my nail manicured at Rm15 only. This is a ‘cheap’ items paradise! Bangkok is famous for ready made tailored jackets and suits for man and woman at an affordable price.

Tip: If you like the item, buy it as soon as possible because you won't able to see the item again in the maze of stalls. It is possible to get lost because there are many stalls offering the same items.

Traffic jams are common in Bangkok and it is a pain. The weather was hot and humid. Even that, I still want to explore other retail areas outside Baiyoke area. I manage to walk to World Trade Center, which has the largest retail giant – Isetan of Japan. It has more high-end items like Armani, Gucci and Prada. (if you can afford) There are two ways for a shopaholic like me to travel to a mall – walk to avoid the traffic jams OR take a Tut-tut vehicle that will speed dangerously on illegal lanes in the city. (Please refer to Lloyd's article on his hiking trip to Laos-the picture of the Tut-tut was featured there). I choose the latter.

My mission was not only to shop but also to taste Thai food (spicy tom yam) and sweet desserts – the famous water chestnut dessert in coconut milk (Tap tim krop). For two nights, my mum, uncles, aunts and cousins had dinner at a seafood restaurant owned by a Chinese who spoke Hokkien. Food was tasty especially the lemon grass squids soup (sotong) and curry crabs.

I even went to a safari and marine park with my teenage cousin. It was a whole day arrangement with a personal Thai tour guide that knows how to speak Hokkien at RM70 with buffet lunch. It was my first time visiting one of Asia's largest safari park where you will see polar bears, birds and beluga whales and dolphins in the marine park that can sing and do stunts (I am not kidding!).

For those, who want to join me for a shopping free in Bangkok end of the year, please call me for an arrangement. We can make this as a fellowship outing. And, guys are welcomed too if you don't mind the long tiring shopping marathon!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am embarrassed to say that I don't get the word 'Shopaholic' at the first place, but it is really neat that this article clearly send out the message for shoppers!

Viva la de Shopaholics~

lloyd cheam

Friday, March 31, 2006 12:32:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just to share on my business trip to Jakarta last year which the traffic is dastically terrible than Thailand.

Over Jakarta, there are no any public train or MRT available & most of them are rely on taxis to travel. Which left me no options.

Harley

Friday, March 31, 2006 1:46:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By reading this article, I can tell that Hui Hui and Lloyd have different style of traveling though both of them did go to Bangkok. Both got what they wanted. How amazing!

Friday, March 31, 2006 3:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home