Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Taking the Sudden Turn vs Staying in the Comfort Zone

Contributed by President Toh Harnniann

I enjoy my current lifestyle very much. I earn a decent living by doing works which I have little complaint about. I have a lot of free time and I think I spend them wisely and fruitfully by mixing with our favourite friends or busying with club’s activities. I am so content with my life!

Little did I realise that not having any problem in life will eventually turn out to be the greatest problem of my life. It is undisputable evidence that I have stayed in my comfort zone for too long! So I decided to come clean this time and face the truth. Yeah, truth does hurt.

When I first joined legal practice in 2002 I found almost everything stressful: seeing a client was stressful; drafting a simple letter was stressful; making a phone call to demand for money was stressful. As I learned bits by bits about this profession, in due course I took those initially seemed so stressful tasks so stress-freely. Then I unwittingly started to relax myself and in doing so I killed my fighting spirit chronically. I started to dislike things that require much effort or involve loads of difficulty. I prefer short distance to long distance; smooth driving to heavy traffic jam; cool and comfortable working environment to serving a legal notice under the hot sun. Laziness soon runs into my blood and poisons every cell of mine.

Sound terrible doesn’t it? But don’t we all who had stayed too long in our own comfort zone suffer this kind of disease? When we obtained our driving license, we prefer to drive to the mini market just steps away from our house even though we had no problem walking there earlier. Why? Because we had stopped pushing ourselves once we fell into the comfort zone and are too afraid of the uncertainties that lie outside of it.

There’s a saying, “taking break is to enable one to walk farther”. I am a strong believer in this but I have become too strong a believer that I have habitually used that as excuse whenever I feel like not doing anything or going anywhere. I am being surprisingly honest here.

How far can we go? Am I pushing myself too hard or have I pushed myself at all? It’s all in our mind. We know the answer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I am so content with my life!" (Quoting the author)

I think this would be the ultimate answer to your questions as to "How far can we go? Am I pushing myself too hard or have I pushed myself at all?"

At the end of the day, i think that it does not really matter whether those questions that you have asked have any answers or not.Its more important to ask yourself whether you are contented with your current lifestyle? (The answer lies in this ultimate question)

Hence, i do agree with how you conclude it by saying that "We know the answer".

Thursday, April 13, 2006 12:13:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey man, that's really a good article!

Comfort zone vs. Sudden turn...

lloyd

Thursday, April 13, 2006 10:40:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In fact, i face a very sudden in my life just recently which i need to decide what i really want in the next 1 year.

What i can advice everyone who seeing this article is learn how to adopt new changes which happens from time to time.

Harley

Thursday, April 20, 2006 1:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Harley,

I share the same view too. I read "Who moved my cheese?" for the 4th time last night. Lets accept change and let go of fears, that's what I learned from the book

Thursday, April 20, 2006 2:23:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home