Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Screw it, Let’s do it

Contributed by President Toh Harnniann

It was a wonderful way to spend your weekend by reading book that will potentially change the course of your life. Book is a powerful tool that has the capability to motivate and inspire when you are going no where.

Last Sunday Engtee and I went to Bukit Raja Shopping Mall. She wanted to buy some accessories and I was there as a means to an end. But I grabbed the opportunity to flip through books at the bookstores.

I wanted to buy a book written by a local entrepreneur titled “Never Say I Assume”. But they don’t have paperback and hardcover was too expensive. So I randomly picked a book which cover appealed most to me. It was a thin book about 100 pages titled “Screw it, Let’s do it: Lessons in Life” by Sir Richard Branson. If you don’t know who he is, Richard Branson is a flamboyant British billionaire that has built his company (Virgin) into one of the world's biggest brands. He is brash and isn't afraid to take risks.

While standing there waiting for Engtee to finish her quest for more accessories, I started reading it. Even the “Introduction” completely caught my focus and I could not stop reading. 15 minutes later Engtee had finished her shopping and we had to rush to school to meet my little brother, I decided to buy the book and finish it at home. At RM19.99 (RM17.00 to be exact after discount by using Popular Card), I could not ask for more.

I am in the midst of taking a big sudden turn in life but something unknown is pulling me back. Every time I think I am ready and brave enough to take the first step out, there will always be some little noise telling me to think twice. Have you ever experienced the same thing? Like you know what you are doing now is not what you want or will never lead to your dreams but nevertheless you are just too afraid to make changes?

It took me just hours to finish that book but greatness of a book is not judged by the hours you spend on it. After reading it, well, I guess I have confirmed what I need to do. Screw it just do it! That shall be my motto for now whenever I feel fear or uncertainty.

I strongly recommend my friends who need motivation and encouragement to go and search for this wonderful book. If you are feeling lost right now, remember this passage below:-

“A journey of a thousand miles starts with that first step. If you look ahead to the end, and all the weary miles between, with all the dangers you might face, you might never take that first step. And whatever it is you want to achieve in life, if you don’t make the effort, you won’t reach your goal. So take that first step. There will be many challenges. You might get knocked back—but in the end, you will make it.”

“Whatever your goal is you will never succeed unless you let go of your fears and fly.”

Richard Branson

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

eh, dont forget to pass to me once u finished reading. i need it as my motto too.

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 2:11:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

engtee, you don't need a motto; you just need to be enlightened!

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:04:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oi, I am next after ET, before I left for US...

lloyd

Tuesday, April 18, 2006 6:36:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a great idea to share the thoughts after reading a great book.

Any other books that you think you should recommend, anyone?

Tim

Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:17:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home