Thursday, February 08, 2007

Hi! AG!

Contributed by Rtr Harnniann

This telephone conversation took place yesterday evening.

Toh: Hello?

AG: Toh! AG Lim here.

Toh: Ooh AG! Hi! How can I help you?

AG: Hey! Just want to check with you, your club not supporting* tomorrow's International Understanding Day Dinner ar?

(NOTE* one thing I learned in Rotary, you do not "attend" the meeting or function, you "support" the meeting or function. So, in a Rotary function, you are there not because you want to be there, it's because you want to "support" the function and the organiser. They are 2 very distinct concept)

Toh: No or... my club sending 3 mar, not enough?

AG: You know Port Klang is the only club in my jurisdiction with Rotaract Movement, how can you all not supporting (you see? again) the dinner?

Toh: AG, promotion very lousy lar... no excitement at all, no members want to go lor

AG: What you are talking about? What promotion you need?

Toh: AG, you can't expect just sent emails out then wait for overwhelming response right?

AG: I see... But I think you all must do something about it lar...

Toh: ok ok... (trying very hard to sound polite and hoping this conversation to end the next second)

AG: Ok bye.

Toh: Bye! (Whooosh...!)


This is a typical phonecall I received from our sponsoring Rotarians on and off. I guess I have to attend their club meetings and shout that I AM NOT A PRESIDENT ANYMORE!!! PLEASE LOOK FOR PREZ FELDMAN!

So, the next president in line, you may want to learn a few tricks to explain why your members are not "supporting" the rotary organised activities. Or better still, learn the tricks to get your members to "support" the activities... then you will be fine and, if luck permits, you might even be rewarded with "Excellent Leadership Award".

Good luck President Feldman for the remaining of your office and certainly Good Luck to PE Hui Hui, please "support" our rotarians : )

3 Comments:

Blogger Feldman said...

Dear IPP,

Thanks for voicing your opinion out. I guess that is what you get when you get the most outstanding rotaractor of the year from our advisor last year. So I guess you will just have to live up to the name, ya? Also, take it as a good thing, they will not look for you if you're of no quality. :) Nevertheless, I do have my shares and I am sure you guys know where I stand.

Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:44:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Toh,

Well, to put in a simple way, we are considered the key members of the Rotary family.

That is why we (rotaractors) are expected to support their functions. Vice versa, we 'sometimes' expect the rotarians to support us too.

And we have to live up to this 'constructive obligation'-as true 'supporters' in service?

Aiyo.. Sudah pressure! Mesti sembahyanglah!

Friday, February 09, 2007 11:07:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

True indeed as what Toh said, we 'sometimes' expect the rotarians to support, which clearly stated that it has to be two-ways or to "give and take".

Likewise, when you sembahyanglah, you will also disembahyangkan, think about it.

Saturday, February 10, 2007 12:44:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home