Wednesday, August 02, 2006

District Issues from a PDRR Point of View

Contributed by PDRR Terence Lee (Alumni of RAC Pudu)
Published with permission


My dear Presidents,

I've come about rather startling news recently regarding certain quarters within our Rotaract community having unrest issue pertaining to the administration and leadership of an office I once held with great enthusiasm and enjoyment.

I've chosen to speak voluntarily in this issue, for personally I strongly believe Rotaract is an organization with immense benefits for our youth today amidst the occasional hiccups experienced in any profit or non-profit making organization of this world. Please accept the following comments from me as a past Rotaractor who is passionate about the well being of Rotaract. I'll take extra care of the words I'm about to use, and whatever that I have written here should be treated as "without prejudice".

Firstly, the reason for you being included in this mailing list is of solely one reason - You hold the leadership responsibility of your respective clubs that ultimately and collectively give existence to this highest office in the Rotaract movement aptly called the District Rotaract Representative, and fundamentally forms the basis of a Rotaract District. To those who are cc: this mail, I simply wish for you to be informed of my concerns and views. To those who have been forwarded this mail, I trust he/she who forwards this mail to you feels you should take considerable care in reading this and you deserve to be informed as well.

The 7 topics which I'm about to share are as follows:

1) Rotaract has always been a "People Power" organization;
2) Dollars and Sense;
3) Leadership;
4) Time has changed, so they say;
5) WII.FM;
6) Do we need the District Board?;
7) Fellowship Through Service.

Certain comments in this mail has been intentionally left unanswered by me, for the other believe I strongly hold is that youth today in this knowledge driven generation are capable of exercising their creativity, analytical thinking, conscience and compassion towards matters that are dear to them. I’m confident all of you will not prove me wrong.

1) Rotaract has always been a “People Power” organization

Every decision and action in Rotaract is for and all about the benefit of Rotaractors. For without members, there would be no club, for without clubs there would be no District, for without a District there would be no …..

There were many instances painful decisions and actions were taken not because of an individual or a small fraction of the community’s agreement, but of the majority voices. Admitably, there could be times when decisions were made driven from a minority’s opinion. What is the use of the decision made when the disagreeing majority will not act upon the required result? Who are the majority? From a factual point of view, the voices of dismay I read are from clubs with amongst the strongest membership and most involvement in District projects and initiatives.

2) Dollars and Sense

I sincerely can’t help but to include this topic. How many Presidents really understand or taken much effort to understand matters pertaining to dollars and cents of the District? We claim to be a non-profit making organization, but when one sees an organization such as us having 5-figure balance in their piggy bank without much concrete plan to rightfully dispense it; have we ever question the purpose of existence of such fortune? I’m truly aware and deeply empathize towards the importance of having a fortune in our pocket to ensure future projects can be organized without much suffering in the finance department. I’m also of the opinion that youth today should rightfully earn their spending and not inherit them. This serves to develop entrepreneurial skills and the sense of appreciation towards the value of dollars and cents.

I once read in a document entitled Rotaract Statement of Policy during my task to produce my Club and the District Budget that “Any dues or assessments on the membership of any Rotaract club should be nominal and should be only for the purpose of covering the cost of administering the club; funds for activities and projects undertaken by Rotaract clubs should be raised by such clubs apart from such dues or assessments.” I couldn’t ascertain whether this statement still exists, but I’m sure my conscience tells me that this statement should not have suffered any negative implication if continued.

To Rotaractors who has chosen to live by ignoring matters concerning the financial welfare of the District, I’ve only this to remind, “God help those who help themselves” and “Conscience and virtue are far nobler than logic and obedience”. Should you choose to be unheard, may you rest your peace forever.

3) Leadership

Professionally and through Rotaract, I’ve had my fair share of learning what constitutes a leader. Leaders are born? Leaders are made? These questions are merely theoretical facts that needed to be proven in their respective time. No doubt, a leader must possess knowledge, experience and charisma. But, what has been truly proven is “Great leaders emerge not in time of norm and peace, but when crisis and injustice need to be successfully conquered.” I’ve also had the fair share of questions on the roles and responsibility of an effective leader. To this question I promptly answered – Guide, Influence, Motivate and Appreciate. And we should truly accept that leaders are human too.

4) Time has changed, so they say

Amongst the many reasons past Rotaractors, particularly past DRRs are not actively involved in District Board matters (or Rotaract in general) are due to the changes in one’s career cum family responsibilities and the clear understanding that times have change, so must the methods or style of management in any organization. I’m a strong believer in the phrase “Change is unavoidable”. And to a certain extent should be encouraged. Laws, Policies, Rules and Guidelines are made by men (and women). I’m of a strong opinion that such mandatory guidelines should only be conceived and agreed by individuals who are or will be affected by such guidelines, not our predecessor.

My dear Rotaractors; having been informed recently that a District Rotaract Board Meeting (I quote) “shall also be convened by any member of the District Board upon obtaining a written request from a minimum of ten (10) Board Members with prior permission of the District Rotaract Chairman” literally places the prominence and importance of a Rotarian duly appointed by the District Governor. May I ask then has such similar prominence and importance being accorded to a Rotaractor duly elected by Rotaract Clubs (i.e. DRR) to have the privilege of giving similar permission in a District Rotary New Generations or Rotaract Committee Meeting?

Rotaract used to be a fun and enjoyable avenue for young adults like myself to learn, develop and make deserving friends. There weren’t any District Guidelines other than the Standard Rotaract Club Constitution & By-laws, Rotaract Statement of Policy, and the individually customized House Rules of the Club (if any) to add to our otherwise fairly responsible actions and decisions. Well, times have change (Terence reminds himself here). But, once a Rotaractor always a Rotaractor – This I’m sure will never change.


5) WII.FM

“What’s In It For Me?” Evidently, we are all motivated to act through this notion going about our everyday life; including our intention, purpose and investments in Rotaract. I’m not a person who is deeply interested in the What, When, Where or Who; but places immense focus on the Why? Personally, I sense Rotaractors lack the knowledge and skills to answer the Why’s; including the effort that has been demonstrated to understand the Why’s in meetings. I sincerely urge all of you to invest more adequate portion of our brain cells to do so.

Why do we have meetings? Why people behave the way they do? Why I should decide so? Why not? Why the people are not with me? Why am I doing this? Why do we organize this project? Why do we need to change? Why am I feeling this way? Why this is happening? Why certain things cannot be resolved? Why do I need to hear or know this? Why am I a Rotaractor?

What’s in it for Terence, writing all this? To be heard, with a spoon full of passion and conscience my dear Rotaractors. (p.s. Indirectly testing the right to freedom of speech and hopefully to share some light in this tunnel to those who may be in the dark.)

6) Do we need the District Board?

Yes. I’m aware of the seriousness of raising this question. Yes, it’s also obvious such a question raised by someone who has served in the District Board for 5 terms does seem like a devilish ploy or the malfunction of the left-side of the brain. Honestly speaking, this ‘Why’ has been permanently engrave in my mind since the ages when sourcing for a DRR and not having anyone willingly to be elected was a source of concern for many.

No. I’m not going to speak on the individual with the highest responsibility in the District. What I’m about to pen here has every little thing to do with every individual representing (what I’ve mentioned earlier) the highest governing body in a Rotaract movement – The Rotaract District Board.

Do we truly understand the level of trust, authority and responsibility a District Rotaract Board has? How many of us have unwillingly dragged our feet to attend District Board Meetings? How many of us really invested enough effort and time to prepare for the District Board Meeting? How many of us in a little corner of our mind occasionally whisper, “District Board Meetings are a waste of time”. How many significant projects or decisions really took place or was resulted from District Board Meetings that made an improvement to Rotaract Clubs of this District? And not forgetting, how many of us really spoke in District Board Meetings?

I wish to reiterate, I’m not implying any notion when writing these questions for I know I alone am unable to change any circumstances because Rotaract is a “People’s Organization” that practices democracy. On the other hand, my questions of provocation above are intended to stir awareness and motivation to improve.

7) Fellowship Through Service

This is the motto that attracted me to be part of this family of like-minded young adults, who at times spend a third of their income and time monthly hoping that this investment called Rotaract is worth every cent of it. I used to profess once that the first step to having a wonderful club in this X and Y Generation times is by reading these 3 words in reverse – Service Through Fellowship. I hope I need not explain the meaning literally.

I agreed to be inducted as a Rotaractor because I have the belief then my fellow Rotaractors will be numbered amongst my closest friends one day. My belief was true. How many of us joined Rotaract because a friend invited us to? How many of us are Rotaractors because I see like-minded young adults in a club whom I can be a friend with? How many of us enjoyed the fellowship part of Rotaract more (if not slightly) than the service part? How many of us are willing to go the extra mile because a fellow Rotaractor is in need? How many of us do not mind organizing community service projects or even getting our hands dirty because we will be going through this with a group of friends? Fellowship spurs service in majority if not all instances, unless there is someone who can prove my incorrect.

Without fellowship, successes could not have been sweeter. Without fellowship, I dare to say there will be no Rotaract clubs. Without fellowship, this issue will not rest (although it seems so from an external point of view).

My dear Rotaractors, Service will not come if there is no Fellowship.

For your information, I have not included any Rotarians in my mailing list as I am of the opinion, Rotaractors should solve our issues internally for we are adults too. “Dirty linen is best washed within our own back yard.” says Terence.

With this, I end my heart’s content and shall retire with a peace of mind and a clear conscience.

Viva la Rotaract!


Terence just recently retired from Rotaract after being in service for 12 years. A happy father and an advocator of Rotaract who claims Rotaract was his second home. Professionally, he speaks a lot. Personally, he thinks too much and occasionally fails. He is also known to be long-winded and ever willing to lend a hand to Rotaractors wanting to tap his knowledge, experience and views on any topic dear to his heart. Terence can be reach via email at fail2think@yahoo.com

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Without fellowship, successes could not have been sweeter. Without fellowship, I dare to say there will be no Rotaract clubs. Without fellowship, this issue will not rest (although it seems so from an external point of view).

My dear Rotaractors, Service will not come if there is no Fellowship." said PDRR Terence.

I always say that "the strength of Rotary/Rotaract lies in fellowship".

Hence the importance of having great fellowship and bond the members together could not be overstressed.

Sometimes I do think that the fellowship we have after our regular meeting is more important then the meeting itself.

So, please spend time joining the fellowship activities and enjoy Rotaract! Don't come for meeting or make up just to fulfill the 60% attendance requirement.

Thursday, August 03, 2006 9:47:00 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home